What to Do If You are a Victim of Identity Theft

If you are a victim of identity theft, the Grandview Police Department would recommend you do the following: 

  • Immediately file a police report with the Grandview Police Department and keep a copy of that report. Many banks and credit agencies require such a report before they will acknowledge that a theft has occurred. For the police report download and fill out the Grandview Police Department Identity Theft Affidavit.
  • Contact the three primary credit reporting bureaus to have a security alert or freeze placed on your report. Also, request a copy of your credit report and review it for any unauthorized activity.
P. O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013-2104
(888) 397-3742
P. O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
(800) 685-1111 (Order report)
(800) 525-6285 (Report fraud)
P .O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022-2000
(800) 888-4213 (Request report)
(800) 680-7289 (Report fraud)

  • Report unauthorized charges and accounts to the appropriate credit issuers and credit bureaus immediately by phone and in writing.
  • If your wallet or purse is stolen, immediately cancel your credit and debit cards and get replacements. Put a "stop payment" on all lost or stolen checks.
  • The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has authority to prosecute identity theft at the federal level. Report identity theft to the FTC by calling (877) ID-THEFT or (877) 438-4338, or visit their FTC Identity Theft Webpage

 Other information that may be helpful include:

IACP's Identity Theft Recovery Toolkit